Travel / Postal

FG to unveil digital single travel emergency passport, January 2026

Minister of Interior, Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo

The Federal Government has announced that the Single Travel Emergency Passport (STEP) will be launched in January 2026, offering a digital solution to assist Nigerians abroad who lose their passports.

Minister of Interior, Dr. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, made the announcement on Friday in Abuja during the launch of the ECOWAS Biometric ID Card.

He said the new system will allow citizens to generate an emergency travel document using any mobile device, eliminating the need to visit an embassy in person.

“This initiative will enable Nigerians abroad who lose their passports to generate an emergency travel document using any mobile device without visiting an embassy,” Tunji-Ojo said.

He urged Nigerians to trust the government’s capacity to tackle national challenges and called for collective support for ongoing security reforms.

The STEP is expected to complement other digital identity initiatives, including the recently launched ECOWAS National Biometric Identity Card (ENBIC), which facilitates travel within West Africa and strengthens border security.

Earlier this month, the NIS announced that it will introduce the Single Travel Emergency Passport to replace the Emergency Travel Certificate.

The NIS explained that the document will be issued at designated Nigerian embassies and consulates and will be valid for a single entry.

The Service said the initiative forms part of wider reforms to strengthen border governance, enhance identity management, and align its operations with international migration standards.